Devenir une famille d'accueil - SPA Estrie - La Société protectrice des animaux de l’Estrie - Organisme de charité soucieux du bien-être des animaux

A great way TO HELP the animals!

Being a foster family for the Eastern Townships SPA means welcoming an animal into your home, on a temporary basis. These animals need a little time before being placed up for adoption.

For all these animals, the comfort of a home is the ideal environment to get through this waiting period.

WHY become a foster family?

  • To allow an animal to stay in a calm, family environment while undergoing treatment.
  • To provide a calm and better adapted environment for an animal needing to be socialized.
  • To free up space at the shelter when we are crowded.
  • To take an active part in the mission of your SPA.

What are the CRITERIA to become a foster family?

  • Have time to dedicate to your foster animal as if he or she were your own pet!
  • If you already have pets at home, they must all be spayed or neutered and have their vaccinations up to date.
  • Be available to come to the shelter for a follow-up appointment.
  • Have at your disposal a room that can be used for isolation in some cases.
  • Be patient and compassionate with your foster animal.

Bottle feeding program

For several months now, we have been running a brand new bottle feeding program. The program consists of taking young orphans who arrive at the SPA and cannot feed themselves. Families are trained to ensure the well-being of each baby while they grow up until they are ready for adoption. We are looking for families who would like to be part of this program.

Here is what to expect :

  • The younger your baby is, the more often he or she needs to drink. From 1 day to about 3-4 weeks, babies need to drink on average every 2-3 hours, day and night, so you need to be able to either bring them to work, to a safe environment, or have someone always at home.

  • There will be care involved. Even if baby sleeps 90% of the day, the other 10% will keep you busy.

  • You will be trained by our animal health technician and she will be with you every step of the way.

  • Unfortunately due to their young ages, some kittens may pass away.

If you are interested and your family is ready to be part of this beautiful program, you are invited to contact Isabelle Richard at

Please note that :

  • Other criteria may apply depending on the animal(s) looking for a foster family. Our staff will inform you of all the details.
  • Your SPA will provide you with everything you need to ensure the animal’s well-being ( litter, food, medication, etc.).
Become a Foster Family