From its foundation in February of 1978 to today, the Eastern Townhips SPA has evolved a lot. Although it has always been driven by the desire to improve the well-being of animals, its actions and major orientations have changed with mentalities, current issues and, of course, animal needs. Thanks to the work accomplished by dozens of employees and volunteers during all these years, the SPA’s force of action has also changed to become much more important.
During its first four years of existence, the SPA took up residence in an old barn on Queen Victoria Boulevard. Quickly it became too small and the facilities were moved in 1982, when 1139 Queen Victoria Boulevard became the property of the SPA de l’Estrie. This building, formerly the incinerator that became the City of Sherbrooke’s signage workshop, had to be expanded three times, with modest means, in order to meet the growing needs of our organization.